I have found this interesting historical compilation on the laws and governmental agreement regulating this very particular areas of the Guatemalan territory that are called Areas del Estado.
- The waters of marine areas that surround the areas of the Republic;
- the shores of lakes and rivers navigable or floatable;
- rivers of any kind serving limit the Republic,
- the waterfalls of industrial use, in the form determined by law, which likewise establish the condition and extensions dominion over all goods; Which they are state property and city;
- the terrestrial maritime area situated on the national territory. Transit and use, are regulated by law and international treaties;
- Revenue tax and municipal originating and public law;
- The underground of the nation, hydrocarbon deposits and minerals;
- All organic and inorganic substances prescribed by law;
"The nation retains:
- title of a land strip three kilometers along the oceans, starting from the top line of tides;
- two hundred meters around the lakeshores;
- one hundred meters each side of the banks of the navigable rivers;
- fifty meters around fountains and springs where the waters are born to take to the cities orpopulations. Exceptions to the reservations expressed:
3rd. The property on registered rights exist in the same record, prior to March 1, 1956, provided that the State does not have possession of them.
The foreigners need Executive authorization to acquire real property covered by the exceptions of subsections 2nd. and 3rd. having the right state